venerdì 11 febbraio 2011

Ice (sculpture) please!








Went back to work yesterday.
As I have a one hour drive to get there, I have a lot of time to think and listen to the radio.
Today I was wondering... what a big pity it was that when I was in Dalian (China) the temperature were already to high and I couldn't make it to go to the annual Haerbin International Ice and Snow Sculputure Festival?  I would have loved to visit it.

The annual Haerbin International Ice and Snow Sculputure Festival has been held since 1985. Although the official start date is January 5 each year, in practice, many of the sculptures can be seen before. While there are ice sculptures throughout the city, there are two main exhibition areas: Enormous snow sculptures at Sun Island (a recreational area on the opposite side of the Songhua River from the city) and the separate "Ice and Snow World" that operates each night. Ice and Snow World features illuminated full size buildings made from blocks of ice. 



So now I still have this desire that needs to be ticked in my "Things I want to do in my life" list.
I don't know when I'll be able to go to Haerbin, but I want it soooo much. 











Haerbin is originally a Manchu word meaning "a place for drying fishing nets". As it has very cold winters,  is often called "Ice City" and is well-known for its beautiful ice sculptures in winter.  
In the 1920s, Harbin was considered China's fashion capital as new designs from Paris and Moscow reached there first before arriving in Shanghai. The city was a major refugee center for the East European Jewish, so the architecture style of Harbin shows a unique combination of oriental and European architecture styles. 

Now Haerbin is also a potential candidate for the 2022 Winter Olympics. 

Even if in the winter time Hearbin's weather is freezing, I can face it to enjoy the enchanted view offered by the Festival.
Well, have you ever heard of it before?

Bye for now!

Benedetta



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento